Reading through Archives. Unveiling the Montreal of 1914-1918
Clientele: secondary, cycle 2
Dates: full year
Duration: in class
To mark the 100th anniversary of the First World War, the Museum is offering a special activity in schools. The aim is to raise awareness among students about the issues involved in the Great War and stimulate critical thinking through the analysis of archival documents.
The project encourages the use of primary sources for their potential to inform and engage teens. It also allows students to examine social realities in their historical context.
1) A preparatory workshop led by the teacher.
2) This activity is led by a Museum guide and consists of a multimedia production that draws on textual archives and iconographic documents from the Museum’s collections and the City of Montreal as well as on an analysis of historical sources.
3) Activities that aim to enhance students’ skills in both English and visual arts.
Before making your reservation, please prepare the following information:
- The title of activity chosen;
- Three possible dates to facilitate the reservation process;
- Preferred time for your tour, the number of students in your group, their grade level, and the language in which you would like the tour to be conducted;
- Complete contact information for your organization, including an email address to enable us to send you a tour confirmation notice.
After making your reservation, you will receive confirmation by email. Please acknowledge receipt to confirm the time of your visit and the number of participants.
To ensure the visit goes smoothly, set aside enough time for the cloakroom, snacks and washroom breaks.
Lastly, plan to have one accompanying adult for every 15 students. He or she will be admitted for free of charge.
Changes or cancellations
Unless you notify us of changes 48 hours before the date of your activity, you will be charged for the number of participants indicated in your reservation.
Method of payment
On the day of the activity, the person responsible for the group is asked to proceed to the admissions desk to settle payment. The total amount may be paid via invoice or on site via cash or cheque. Please make your cheque payable to the McCord Museum.
A lunch area is available for a fee of $50.
Information and reservations
514 861-6701, ext. 2234
Not to be missed!
A lunch area is available for a fee of $50.Make a reservation