Copyright – Terms and Conditions
CONDITIONS OF USE – USAGE AGREEMENT*
Below is the wording of the Usage Agreement that will be sent to you if you pay a Usage Fee for Publication or a Commercial Fee with your photographic reproduction order. By paying these fees you agree to the following conditions of use:
USAGE AGREEMENT FOR 300DPI IMAGE FILES*
1. Permission for publication is subject to your receipt of a copy of this agreement issued by an authorized agent of the McCord Museum.
- Permission for publication is granted for the express purpose described in this agreement. This permission is non-exclusive. The McCord Museum reserves the right to reproduce the image and allow others to reproduce the image.
- Permission granted terminates immediately upon publication or production of the Product.
- A Product produced simultaneously in more than one medium, such as a magazine published in both paper and electronic versions, is considered a single use for the purposes of this Agreement.
- Solely in connection with the marketing and distribution of the Product, the applicant may use the image on the packaging of the Product and in any advertisement, product catalogues, publicity or promotional use.
- Any subsequent use (including subsequent editions and adaptations, related Products, Web versions, etc.) constitutes reuse and must be applied for separately from McCord Museum and will be subject to a Usage Fee.
2. The applicant assumes all responsibility under the terms of the Copyright Act for use made of images secured from the McCord Museum.
- The McCord Museum reserves the right to require a release from individuals whose privacy may be violated by the production of an image. Use of an image of an identifiable individual in a manner which suggests association with or endorsement of any product, service, cause or institution is prohibited.
- The McCord Museum extends the rights of privacy to include images of sacred and ceremonial objects and rites of the First Nations, and it requires permission from the McCord’s Ethnology Department before releasing reproductions.
- The applicant agrees to hold the McCord Museum and its agents harmless against any and all claims arising or resulting from the use of the material and shall indemnify the repository and its agents for any and all costs and damages arising or resulting from any such unauthorized use.
3. All use of images must include the artist’s name, the McCord Museum’s name and the accession number of the object in a caption or credit, except for films, in which the McCord Museum’s name must appear in the credits, but image numbers are not required.
- Credits should appear in close proximity to the image or in a special section devoted to credits. However, reproductions distributed electronically must contain the credit or caption as part of the image.
- The payment of a Commercial Use fee does not exempt the user from the credit line requirement.
4. Images supplied by the McCord Museum may not be copied, scanned, exhibited, resold or used for any other purpose than that specified in this agreement. Copies shall not be deposited in another library, archives, or repository.
5. Unless approved in advance by the McCord Museum, images shall not be retouched or altered in any way that could affect their historical or artistic integrity. If a detail of an image is to be reproduced, the word “Detail” must appear in brackets beside the accession number (or image number) of the image.
6. Prepayment of all fees, including Usage Fees, is required before permission is granted.
7. Reproduction is permitted only from digital files supplied by the McCord Museum.
8. The personal information the McCord Museum has collected for this Agreement is not used for any other purpose.
CONDITIONS FOR USING AND DOWNLOADING IMAGES FROM THE MCCORD MUSEUM WEBSITE
All digital images of artefacts in the database of the McCord Museum website may be downloaded in four different formats. You may access the images by clicking on the “Download this image” icon under the image in the image file.
Digital images of artefacts in the database of the McCord Museum website may be reproduced, distributed and transmitted to the public on the basis of the following “Creative Commons” criteria:
- Ownership. You must cite the name of the original author of this work.
- No commercial usage. You do not have the right to use this work for commercial purposes.
- No modification. You do not have the right to modify, transform or adapt this work.
* This text is reproduced with the permission of the Glenbow Museum.