XX-1663 | St. Thomas's Seminary, Memramcook, NB
St. Thomas's Seminary, Memramcook, NB
12.8 x 18 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
Father François-Xavier Lafrance's crowning achievement in the field of education for Acadians was his founding of St. Thomas's Seminary at Memramcook, New Brunswick, in 1854.
The seminary offered a general academic program and served as a high school for boys. About 95 students enrolled in the "little college" every year. The doors of St. Thomas's Seminary were closed in 1862, but the dream of providing higher education to Acadians was not dimmed; two years later St. Joseph's College was inaugurated.
The seminary was known by various names, including "St. Thomas's College" and "St. Thomas's Academy." However, the name "St. Thomas's Seminary" was the one used most often.
This is a photograph of a drawing of St. Thomas's Seminary, about 1880.
In about 1880, the Petites Soeurs de la Sainte Famille established a convent in the building originally used as St. Thomas's Seminary.
The photograph of the drawing was made in about 1990.
Many priests were trained at St. Thomas's Seminary, some of whom, including François-Xavier Cormier (1856 -1906), were to play a central role in the Acadian Renaissance.